This meatballs and gravy recipe is budget-friendly and belly satisfying!
Fresh or frozen meatballs that are simmered in a shortcut brown gravy with onions. Made in a slow cooker or Crockpot, these meatballs are easy to prepare in advance.
Serve over mashed potatoes, egg noodles, or rice for an easy meal.
Slow Cooker Meatballs (& Gravy!)
We love crock pot recipes to make weeknights extra easy!
- Let the Crockpot do all the work for these quick and easy meatballs and gravy!
- Perfect for those chilly weeknights or as a make-and-take dish for any get-together!
- Tender and juicy meatballs are slow-cooked in rich onion gravy. Just set it and forget it for an easy weeknight dinner.
- Frozen meatballs make this dish even easier. It’s always a good idea to have extra meatballs in the freezer for easy-to-make dinners!
Ingredients for Meatballs & Gravy
Meatballs – Fresh for frozen work in this recipe. Frozen fully cooked meatballs make for extra quick prep.
If you’d prefer homemade meatballs, check the notes below. Beef, turkey, chicken, pork, or any combination can be used!
Gravy – Everything about this gravy is super easy and delicious! Just toss everything in at once! Heavy cream is used as it holds up well in the slow cooker (milk doesn’t hold up well). It can be substituted with evaporated milk if you’d like.
How to Make Meatballs & Gravy in the Slow Cooker
- If using fresh meatballs, brown in a skillet. Add onions and soften.
- Add the meatballs and onion with remaining ingredients to a slow cooker. Cover & cook per the recipe below.
- Discard the bay leaf, make corn starch slurry, add to meatballs and gravy, and cook until thickened.
What Goes with Meatballs and Gravy?
Serve hearty meatballs with gravy over mashed potatoes, rice, or egg noodles with a tangy Caesar salad, and add some dinner rolls and sauteed mushrooms.
Keep leftover meatballs & gravy covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Store in zippered bags in the freezer for up to 4 weeks. Thaw in the fridge overnight or gently thaw on low heat on the stovetop.
Slow Weekday Cooker Meals
Did your family enjoy these Slow Cooker Meatballs and Gravy? Leave us a comment below!
Slow Cooker Meatballs & Gravy
Juicy meatballs slow cooked in a rich and creamy onion gravy.
If making homemade meatballs, combine the meat mixture and roll into 36 meatballs. Lightly brown in a skillet over medium high heat, cooking in batches if needed. They do not need to be cooked through. (Frozen meatballs do not need to be browned).
Remove the meatballs and place in the bottom of a 6qt slow cooker (frozen fully cooked meatballs can be added right from frozen).
Add the onions to the pan with butter and cook over medium heat until softened, about 4 minutes.
Place onions in the slow cooker. Add all remaining ingredients except cornstarch and stir. Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
Remove bay leaf and discard. Combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water. Stir into the slow cooker and cover. Cook 15 minutes or until thickened.
- 1 ½ pounds lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon each onion and garlic powder
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- salt & pepper
Calories: 612 | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 48g | Saturated Fat: 21g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 19g | Cholesterol: 159mg | Sodium: 681mg | Potassium: 1076mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 455IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 69mg | Iron: 2mg
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.